Friday, July 12, 2013

Super Moon: a weekend alone (ish)

Tonight we'll have a Super Moon.  Silas, Eden, and Ben will be driving home from New York and  will watch it appear and waver on the horizon of the highway before it rises high above and follows them home.  I will strain to glimpse it through the trees out back.

This weekend has been a bit of a supermoon for me -- not a honeymoon, not a babymoon, just a supermoon, with Maeve.  Without the weight of the other children, I shuttled between hardware stores, Ikea, and Target, bought supplies and painted the walls I've stared at for nearly a year, shooing Maeve from the paint trays as I went, and luring her to the other side of the room with toys I threw.

Each evening my house fell silent at 6:00 and I sat at the kitchen table and enjoyed summer -- vidalia onions, zucchini, summer squash, and my favorite kale salad.  Tomorrow, all of this will shift back to normal with swim practice and dinners on the fly, but for now, salad:


My Favorite Kale Salad
(is no picture better than an uninspiring one?)

Ingredients:
kale
lemon
olive oil
salt
shredded Parmesan
candied pecans (or something sweet + nutty)

For this salad, the dressing is simply lemon juice and olive oil.  
Wash kale and tear it into bite-sized pieces.  Discard the ribs.  
Squeeze a quarter or more of lemon all over and drizzle olive oil.  
Be generous with your Parmesan.
I like something sweet to counter the lemon and kale, and candied pecans (from Trader Joe's) are my favorite.  Try nectarines, toasted almonds/walnuts, crasins -- whatever you have on hand


No comments: