Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mom.

I mentioned the emergence of "I not!" and for a little icing on the cake, Eden's also begun, "Mom."

Conversations with Eden these days go a lot like this:

Come on, Eden, let's hold hands.
I NOT, Mom (mom said in the low voice that suggests a roll of the eyes that you often hear 15 year old's use).

-or-

Let's put your shoes on, we have to go!
By self, Mom. I NOT.

-or-
MY BOTTLE!!!
Use your manners, Eden.
Please, Mom.

I have tried to remind her that she is only 20 months old. I have tried interjecting "mama" or "mommy" right after her declarative "mom." But all to no avail. In fact, I'm pretty sure she's saying Mom just to jib me.

The saving grace, though, comes in the middle of the night, when I hear a tiny high voice, too sleepy to remember herself softly calling, "i want my mommy" from the other room. Then everything slips back into place.

No comments: