Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Galore (more detailed than you may desire)

There were Christmas ideas in my head for weeks and then all at once, Christmas gusted into action. It's the first year Silas has really anticipated Christmas with me -- both spiritually and fancifully -- and with that sweetness have come many firsts.

We decorated the house and bought a squat little tree:
We waited in line for Santa:
While we were waiting, Silas wrote Santa a letter: "Dear Santa, I'm feeling a little shy today so I'm writing you a letter. I would like a Super Duper Double Looper for Christmas. Love, Silas" And when it was our turn, Silas wordlessly handed it to him.
Silas and I made the kind of Christmas cookies Ben grew up with that involve rolling, cutting and icing (and, it turns out, a lot of work, but are fun nonetheless):
Ben's Favorite Christmas Cookies

These cookies tend to be a little more flour-y than buttery, which I like with the icing (and this is coming from a butter-cookie lover). I think they're best when rolled thin and cooked well. This recipe makes a LOT of cookies (at least 5 pans), so you may want to cut it in half. And parchment was my best friend.

1 c sugar
1 c butter
2 eggs
5 T milk
1 t baking soda dissolved in
1 t lemon juice
2 t baking powder
3 c flour
1 t vanilla
extra flour for rolling out the dough

-mix
-chill
-roll and cut
-bake at 350 til brown

For the icing, mix milk and food coloring; add powdered sugar til the mixture is think enough to spread (or even spoon) but not too runny.

Silas learned "Away in a manger" and performed for the first time with hand motions and all (he's front right):

Silas chose and gave Eden the first present she's ever received from him:
We loved spending time at the manger (even though this Jesus was blond-haired and blue-eyed -- come on!)

And had a visit from Santa (YES, Silas DID hear a "clink clink" on the roof during the night) for our California Christmas morning -- the pajama-ed, beaming anticipation was delicious.And Monday we will set sail, yet again, for DC, where snow is piling nearly to the windows -- a rare and wished for treat.

3 comments:

rosie said...

thought you'd like to know our "blond hair, blue eye's Jesus" was stolen.....and it wasn't me :)

Denise Ann said...

I am going to try the cookies -- but "until brown" is not a good direction for me -- I tend to burn cookies -- Minutes?

Love your pictures.

Safe travel!

Denise Ann said...

I made the cookies and I love the cookies! Thank you.

Merry merry Christmas.