Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lunch in the midst of Life

In the midst of feeling harried this week, Ben and I ate a delicious lunch (I ate it twice).

My friend Carrie gave me some pesto basil -- a small-leafed, whiter variety. What I love about making pesto is how allowing it is; I measure nothing, make it in my blender, and always love it. I had no pine nuts this time so used walnuts instead. After eating it with pasta, I made caprese sandwiches -- pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella, salt broiled open-faced on a baguette. Turned out to be the perfect company for corn soup.

Especially after our end of August week at the beach, I was done with corn on the cob for the year. When I got back to California, though, I realized twice in one week I ordered corn soups -- one pureed and one corn-lobster chowder (yum). So when the farmers' market was still selling corn on the cob, I thought I'd try to make some of my own.

Roasted Corn Soup
adapted from Janet Fletchers' Fresh from the Farmers Market

6 ears corn, in husks (ideally not the super sweetest variety)
3 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 c low-sodium chicken broth
1 baking potato (about 1/2 pound), peeled and cut in 6 pieces
1 T cornmeal
1/2 c heavy cream
S&P
pinch of sugar, optional

-Preheat oven to 450.
-Put corn and garlic on a baking sheet and roast until corn is fragrant and husks are lightly browned, about 25 min.
(I always have a bit of a problem roasting garlic and end up burning it, so you might want to check it along the way and even turn it)
-Let cool then shuck and peel the garlic
-Cut kernels from cobs. Cut 4 cobs in half crosswise and throw away the other 2.
-Set corn kernels and garlic aside

-In saucepan, combine broth, potato, halved cobs, and 3 c water
-Cover partially and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Maintain simmer.
-Cook until potato is tender, about 20 min
-Discard corn cobs

-In a food processor (or blender), combine corn kernels, garlic coves, potatoes (lift them from broth with slotted spoon) and cornmeal.
-Puree, adding broth as you go.
Transfer to a sieve over a bowl and press mixture through with a rubber spatula; leaving corn skins behind.

-Transfer soup to a clean saucepan.
-Stir in cream and reheat
-Season with S&P and pinch of sugar if desired (mine needed it)

*enjoy*

No comments: